Visit my national blog: In This Moment

Sunday, June 3, 2007

IRS finally takes an interest in campaigning Kansas churches

I posted this story earlier on my other blog, In This Moment, but it most decidedly deserves to get more Kansas attention. At issue is a Wichita church, Spirit One Christian Center, which targets certain political candidates for attack and others for praise.

The pastor seems amazed that the IRS is questioning this. Frankly, I'm amazed that he's amazed. The law has always been clear that intervening in candidate campaigns is grounds for knocking a church out of its tax-exempt status. What amazes me is how seldom the IRS seems to notice what's going on.

What will also be interesting is to see what the IRS actually does. Do they ignore it? Condone it? Strip this so-called church of its tax-free status?

Anyone want to bet what the Bush Administration will do?

No comments: